31/08/2011

Are you my hero, Batman?

Who is that hero?

This comic book hero has his interesting history of fighting some villains (freaks) and saving his native Gotham City. Though he was appearing in comics since 1939, Batman along with his alter ego Bruce Wayne always looks young, full of energy and ready to save the situation again and again.

However I like him least of all heroes, who have ever been created by humanities fantasy, his enemies seems to be more fun. Joker, Mr. Penguin, Two-Face, Riddler, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy and girls in black leather, Catwoman and Batgirl. They're pure freaks even if they have a 'nice' alter ego.

Behind the scenes

I saw a couple of movies about Batman - "Batman" (1989) by Tim Burton, then I started watching "Batman Returns" (1992), but something went wrong (I can't remember what) and I didn't saw even a half of it. I didn't miss "The Dark Knight" (2008) and because of Heath Ledger's appearance I'd never regret I spent more than 2 hours watching it. Also I've seen some scenes from "Batman and Robin", which has to be the forth and the last part of the Burton's story, with Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze (what?) and Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy (what? part 2). And, if it counts, I saw "Catwoman" with Halle Berry (it's not more than 5/10).

Since the very beginning Batman has been played by many talented actors. Val Kilmer, Michael Keaton, George Clooney and Christian Bale tried on his costume and fought evil. I wasn't impressed by the acting of Bale (though I find a couple of movies, he starred in, great) and not so far from him stands Keaton. It looks like they desperately wanted to be overshadowed by Jack Nicholson and later by Heath Ledger, who were great at portraying Batman's crazy opponent Joker.

So, are you my hero, Batman?

I should say 'no'. But still I'm reading news about "The Dark Knight Rises" (2012), watching some videos from the set and posting about it here. I'd never watch it in 3D or IMAX or other 'modern' format, but when I'm going to see it, I'll do it not because of Batman, who is played by Christian Bale again, but because of Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Marion Cotillard. Sorry, B-man.


Image - Empire

No comments:

Post a Comment