08/02/2012

Dear John Williams

I haven't written open letters for a long time, but there is a good reason to do it today.


Dear John Williams,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you! I'm very grateful that you were born 80 years ago, because I don't want even imagine what the cinematography would do without you.

I started watching films since I don't remember which age, but even then the melody, which I heard along with the visual part, was important for me. When I was a kid, I watched "Home Alone" every holiday season. Later I saw the first two adaptations of Harry Potter. I memorised both main themes so well that I'm humming them every Christmas for many years.

When I grew up and discovered more serious films, as "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", "Schindler's List", "Empire of the Sun", "Catch Me If You Can", "Memoirs of a Geisha", "Star Wars" trilogies. They opened me the brand new world and I enjoyed them very much. Along with the music. Yes, I want to thank you for writing such exceptional pieces for all those films, and for many others. Thanks to you I started wondering not only who the actors and directors are, and what about the plot is. I always check the line, where the name of the composer is written, hoping that you took part in creating it.

You can make every film better with your music. I watched many from your filmography and without your soundtracks they wouldn't be such great. Steven Spielberg and Chris Columbus definitely wouldn't be as popular as they are, if you didn't write the music for their films.

I hope your compositions will become timeless, and many generations will listen to them and wonder how a real person can make such magical tunes. And, of course, I wish you well and write more, because you have an incredible gift.

Have a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Sincerely,
an eternal movie and music fan.


Picture via Harry Potter fan zone

No comments:

Post a Comment