02/05/2012

The Women of "Bel Ami" (2012)

I'm very into period dramas, so I just couldn't miss "Bel Ami", a new adaptation of Guy de Maupassant's novel of the same name. Yes, it stars Robert Pattinson, but I have no prejudice towards him. This story is about a young man, who is tired of being poor and uses his charm to seduce rich women. I enjoyed the film, though I haven't read the book, so I can't tell if it is a good or bad adaptation. The most of all I liked its atmosphere, which was created thanks to beautiful music, gorgeous costumes and picturesque locations.

The main character, Georges Duroy, doesn't like to waste his precious time, so during 1 hour 30 min he manages to sleep with 4 women, almost sleep with a young innocent girl, and who knows how many of his affairs were left outside this story. All female characters impressed me, and every actress did a great job.

Rachel (Natalia Tena)
She is a prostitute, the first and the poorest woman, with whom Duroy has slept in this film. Also it was the most sinful sex and the most naked scene in the whole film.


Clotilde de Marelle (Christina Ricci)
She is my favourite female character here, because there is something honest and pure about her, though she cheated on her husband with the main character. And I think Clotilde is the only woman he cared about, and if he married her, he'd stop playing his games.


Madeleine Forestier (Uma Thurman)
Beautiful and smart woman isn't the one, who is easy to fool. But she also lets him in, after her husband died. It is a big question why she did it, because she didn't really need him as a friend nor lover. She was a complete person without his greedy ambitions.


Virginie Walters (Kristin Scott Thomas)
A lady, who was married for many years and has never cheated on her husband, falls in love with Duroy, because he was the only man, who said nice words to her. But then her love turned into dangerous obsession, she became crazy, and I think she didn't survive his new marriage.


Suzanne Rousset (Holliday Grainger)
The last victim of Duroy was naive Suzanne. She was very young, inexperienced and rich, so he just couldn't stop using her. I wonder how fast she figured out that he doesn't care about her at all.


Pictures - BEL AMI Film

No comments:

Post a Comment