18/05/2011

Festival de Cannes 2011 - Day 8

Today Cannes was shocked by very spicy press conference of the movie "Melancholia". The latest project directed by Lars Von Trier was expected to be unusual and a bit shocking, but the director gave this "something shocking" at the morning, while he was talking to journalists. Lars was not only speaking about the movie, an apocalyptic story about relationship between two sisters, but also said a couple of words about himself as a Jew and a Nazi: “I thought I was a Jew for a long time and was happy being a Jew, Then later I found out that I wasn’t a Jew. I really wanted to be, but found out I was really a Nazi because my family was German. I understand Hitler, but I definitely see some wrong things. I just think I understand the man. He’s not what I call a good guy. I’m not for the Second World War. I’m for Jews, well maybe except for the Israelis - sometimes they’re a problem…” And when a journalist asked him if he likes to make a Hollywood blockbuster, he replied: “We Nazis tend to do things on a great scale.” A couple hours after Lars apologized: "If I have hurt someone this morning by the words I said at the press conference, I sincerely apologize. I am not antisemitic or racially prejudiced in any way, nor am I a Nazi." But his movie is presented 'In Competition', so every his word would be evaluated by the jury.

Yesterday's premiere of "Pater" directed by Alain Cavalier got a 15-minute standing ovation. Movie tells about an attitude to the political power and power in general. Actor Vincent Lindon said about the birth of the movie: "We all have dreams. My dream was to be filmed by Cavalier. Alain began by filming everything and wondering what would emerge, and then the sheer drama and suspense of the film ended up telling us what we had to do, the scenes which remained to be shot."

Also the first 'In Competition' movie made in 3D was presented on the 8th day of the Cannes Film Festival. It is called "Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai". It looks like this year there is a chance for every genre - a silent black and white "The Artist" and a 3D action movie, expected to be bloody.

"Melancholia" photocall - Kirsten Dunst, Lars Von Trier, John Hurt, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Louise Vesth, Meta Foldager, Jesper Christensen, Brady Corbet, Stellan Skarsgard, Udo Kier 




"Melancholia" photocall - Kirsten Dunst, Lars Von Trier, Charlotte Gainsbourg


"Pater" photocall - Vincent Lindon, Alain Cavalier  


" Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai" promo 


More photos and fresh news from the Festival here - http://www.festival-cannes.fr/en/festival/2011-05-18/theDailyNews.html , http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/

With such great premieres, I sincerely hope tomorrow all be fine without shocking and offensive director's statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment